I recently came accross some dehydrated broccoli bites at the grocery store. I bought them and tried them; sadly they were not nearly as delicious as I was hoping they to be. Having made my fair share of kale chips, I decided to experiment be creating m own recipe! Plus you'll get a lot more bang for your buck. If you're thinking about getting a dehydrator... try the Excalibur. It's totally worth the investment!
2 Broccoli crowns
2 Cups of soaked raw cashews (Soak them overnight)
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
1/4 cup red onion/shallot
1 small red bell pepper
Juice of 1-2 lemons (depeding on size)
2 medium carrots
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
1/2 cup of water (as needed)
*For a spicy version try adding a few dashes of Cayenne Pepper!
1) First you'll want to soak the raw cashews overnight.
2) Chop up the broccoli into bite size pieces.
2) Blend the raw cashews and all other ingredients until smooth. I eneded up needing to add a little water to assist with the blending process.
3) Coat the broccoli with the cashew mixture
4) Place the coated broccoli in the dehydrator and set to veggie mode (about 125 degress fahrenheit). Follow your dehydrator's instructions. Since the broccoli is such a hearty vegetable you may need to give it 12-24 hours to dehydrate depending on your machine.
My eager little helper!
The final result ---> Ah-Mazing! Toddler approved and husband approved! Crispy, crunchy, cheezy and zesty all in the same bite. Truthfully, I thought that this was just going to be a test run but my tastebuds thought it was spot on an totally worth sharing. I hope that you enjoy this recipe. Let me know if you play around with the ingredients or make any modifications. I'd love to hear about your experiments in the kitchen.
Believe, Be You, Be Well